Canada Lutheran (synodical) from 1912-1919 is available in the Laurier Archives and Special Collections Digital Collection.
Series 1: Norwegian Lutheran Church of Canada
Series 2: American Lutheran Church - Canada District
Series 3: Danish United Evangelical Lutheran Church - Western Canada District
Series 4: Lutheran Free Church
Series 5: ELCC Church Council
Series 6: ELCC Board of Trustees
Series 7: ELCC Board of Education
Series 8: Joint Committee of Council and Trustees in Emergency Matters
Series 9: Division of Social Service
Series 10: Division of World Missions
Series 11: Division of Canadian Missions (see "Indian Work"
Series 12: Division of Communication
Series 13: Division of Congregational Life - General
Series 14: Division of Congregational Life - Camping
Series 15: Division of Congregational Life - Evangelical Lutheran Church Women
Series 16: Division of Congregational Life - Youth Ministries
Series 17: Division of Congregational Life - Sunday School at Home
Series 18: President's Office
Series 19: Inter-Lutheran Relations - Joint Projects
Subseries 20.1: Committee on Autonomy
Series 21: ELCC Conferences
Series 22: Photographs
Series 23: History
Series 24: Printed material
Series 25: Inter-Christian partnerships
Series 26: Administrative records - Congregations
Series 27: ELCC Archivist
Series 28: ELCC publications
From the ALC Fonds as written by Laurier Archives
The Canada Conference of the Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church was the Canadian arm of the Augustana Lutheran Church, which was founded in the United States in 1860 to serve Swedish immigrants. The Canada Conference was officially founded in 1913, and merged into the Lutheran Church in America in 1962.
Beginning in the 1880s, the Minnesota Conference of the Evangelical Lutheran Augustana Synod in North America (ELASNA), which was renamed the Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church (AELC) in 1948, had established a mission in Western and Northern Canada because of the increasing Swedish and Scandinavian immigrant population settling there. After sending temporary pastors to the mission in an attempt to organize members, the first Augustana church was established in New Stockholm, Assiniboia District, Northwest Territories (now part of Saskatchewan) in October 1889. Other churches were established in Manitoba and Ontario in the following years, including St. Mark's Lutheran Church in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1890, Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Erickson, Manitoba in 1891, and Bethesda Lutheran Church in Kenora, Ontario in 1894.
The first permanent Augustana Lutheran minister to reside and work in Canada, Rev. Svante Udden, arrived in July 1892 and was influential in establishing more congregations in Alberta, Manitoba, and British Columbia. By 1900 there were three resident ministers, ten congregations, and almost 800 members of the ELASNA in Canada. Rev. L. P. Bergstrom, who arrived to Canada in 1909 as Mission Superintendent, was largely responsible for the formation of the Canada Conference in 1913. He organized and increased attendance among the existing churches, called for more pastors, and formed new congregations. By 1913 there were 39 Augustana congregations across Canada, eight pastors, and almost 3000 baptized members. Many in Canada felt that these numbers warranted the formation of a Canadian conference.
On May 23, 1913, pastors and delegate from across Canada met in the New Stockholm Lutheran Church, Saskatchewan, to institute and organized the Canada Conference. It would consist of three districts: Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba-Ontario. Rev. J. G. Dahlberg of Winnipeg was elected the first president of the conference.
In 1962, the Canada Conference of the AELC merged with other Canadian Lutherans to form two of the three Canadian Synods of the Lutheran Church in America (LCA): the Western Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod. Together with the Eastern Canada Synod, the three Canadian synods constituted the Canada Section of the Lutheran Church in America (LCA-CS). In 1985, the LCA-CS withdrew from the LCA and, together with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada (ELCC, 1960-1985, corporate name for the Canada District of the American Lutheran Church (ALC)), formed the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC).
Now under the leadership of the ELCIC, the Central Canada Synod, Eastern Canada Synod, and Western Canada Synod were reorganized into six synods, of which five remain:
Alberta-North Synod (1986-1988),
British Columbia Synod (1986-),
Eastern Synod (1986-),
Manitoba/Northwestern Ontario Synod (1986-),
Saskatchewan Synod (1986-), and the
Synod of Alberta and the Territories (1986-).
The Project Coordinators are aware that many key documents and resources are under professional care - and yet - some key content remains in the hands of congregations, congregants, active and retired rostered leaders. If you are aware of content that should perhaps be preserved, please contact Karen Kuhnert
Copyright © Remembering Today For The Church Of Tomorrow Project (Canadian Lutheran History).This site is developed with the presumption of grace. It relies on the documents of many sources and the opinions of many individuals.. Should you have concerns about any of our content please contact us.
This is a living archive. We count on viewers to become contributors - making the site better.